What is oral cancer screening?
Oral cancer can affect your lips, cheek lining, gums, tongue, hard palate, throat, and the floor of the mouth. During an appointment, Drs. Howard and Howard can examine these areas for signs of mouth and throat cancer. For the screening, a visual inspection of your mouth, jaw, and neck will be performed by our skilled dentists.
Be sure to visit The Dental Office of Encino frequently, as this improves the chances that irregular changes in your oral health will be caught early. In the early stages, oral cancer can be treated more easily.
Do I need oral cancer screening?
If you see any of the following symptoms and they do not disappear after two weeks, please contact The Dental Office of Encino so can provide a screening for oral cancer in Encino, California:
- A sore or irritation in your mouth or on your face or neck
- Red or white patches in the mouth
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness in the lips or mouth
- A lump, rough spot, crust, or small eroded area in the mouth or on the face or neck
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving your tongue or jaw
- A change in your bite and how your teeth or dentures fit together
Certain factors have been found to contribute to oral cancer; smokers and alcohol drinkers over 50 are most at risk for mouth and throat cancers. If you think you are at risk for oral cancer, we urge you to contact our dental office today.