What are crowns?
A crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth to help restore its natural shape, size, and strength. To prepare your tooth for a crown, our dentists may first take a few X-rays to check the tooth’s roots and surrounding bone for decay. If there is extensive decay or if the pulp is at risk of infection, additional treatment may be needed. Drs. Howard and Howard will numb the tooth and the surrounding area. Then, the tooth slightly shaped to allow room for the crown. Our dentists will make an impression of the tooth and the teeth above or below it so a crown can be custom made. When the crown is ready, it is permanently cemented in place. In some dental offices, this process takes two visits. Our dentists are proud to offer same-day crowns in Encino, California!
Do I need a crown?
An adult may need a dental crown in the following situations:
- To protect a weak tooth
- To restore a broken or worn tooth
- To support a tooth with a large filling
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To improve misshapen or discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
For children, a crown may be used to:
- Save a tooth too damaged to support a filling
- Protect the teeth of a child at high risk for tooth decay
- Decrease the frequency of anesthesia for children unable to cooperate with dental procedures
We invite you to contact The Dental Office of Encino today with any questions or to schedule an appointment.